Friday, June 5, 2015

Review: MAC Pro Longwear Nourishing Waterproof Foundation

There wasn't a big fuss made about the release of this new foundation, which was surprising to me since it claims to be, basically, the perfect foundation for my needs.

Here are the claims (from Nordstrom):

"MAC Pro Longwear Nourishing Waterproof Foundation is a tenacious waterproof formula that can be used as a foundation or concealer, wearing for an unprecedented 24 hours. Neither rain nor tears can budge this oil-free, watertight product that actually repels moisture from the surface of the face. It blends seamlessly on your skin with medium to full weightless coverage and a natural satin finish."

Wow! Flawless coverage, waterproof, 24-hour wear?  Sign me up.


Price: Retails for $32 for 0.85 oz.

Packaging: Comes in a nice squeeze tube with screw on cap.


Application: As with most heavier coverage foundations, I prefer to apply this with a damp Beauty Blender.  I find that it gives the best, most even finish.

Finish: This foundation sets to a demi-matte finish.

Color: I picked up the shade NC25, which is my regular shade.  I had read that this line from MAC tends to run a bit light, and I have to agree.  I think NC30 would probably have been a more accurate color match, but I can make NC25 work, too.


NC25 on NC25 skin
Coverage: Surprisingly, the initial application gives a light-medium coverage.  Since it was being sold as a full coverage foundation that you can also use as concealer, I expected it to be heavily pigmented with a thicker consistency.  Not so.  It has a smooth gel-like feel, and it does not feel thick or heavy in the least.  I applied a light second layer to build up the coverage, and I was only able to get it to a medium at best.  I'm not quite sure how people are achieving full coverage, which is what I've been reading.  I have quite severe hyperpigmentation and acne scarring that I need to cover, and I could definitely still see the discoloration through the foundation, even after a second layer was applied.

Final thoughts: If you are purchasing this foundation for a truly full coverage, flawless finish and you have a lot of discoloration to cover, as I do, I would pass on this.  I think for someone with fairly good skin to begin with, this would be a nice everyday foundation since it feels nice and evens out the skin nicely.  However, it does not cover as well as it claims.

No comments:

Post a Comment